Weather related topics have always been the number one conversation ice breaker around the world, and Chinese people are no exception. To begin an awkward meeting with a simple "今天好冷啊！Jīntiān hǎo lěng a! (It's freezing cold today!)" will quickly close the distance between people and help start a meeting smoothly. Today, let's have a look at Chinese weather vocabulary and how these words can be used in a sentence.
First, we must be clear about the basic sentence pattern:
Time + (Adverbs of Frequency ) + Verb or Time + (Adverbs of Level) + Adjective
-昨天下雨了。Zuótiān xiàyǔ le. (It rained yesterday.)
-现在正在下雨。Xiànzài zhèngzài xiàyǔ . (It's raining right now.)
-明天不会打雷。Míngtiān bú huì dǎléi. (There will not be thunder tomorrow.)
-在北京，冬天经常下雪。Zài Běijīng, dōngtiān jīngcháng xiàxuě. (It often snows in the winter in Beijing.)
1. If you talk about the weather in the past, you should add the symbol of past tense "了le" after the verb for the positive form; for the negative form, add "没有 méi yǒu".
2. If you talk about the weather at the moment, please add "正在 zhèngzài" before the verb.
3. If you talk about the weather in the future, then add the symbol of the future"会" before the verb.
4. If you talk about the seasonal weather of a place, you can add one of the frequency words "经常 jīngcháng (often)" before the verb.
Then, let's see what kind of adverbs and adjectives we can use when we talk about weather:
Adverbs of level
有点儿 yǒu diǎnr (a little bit)
不太 bú tài (not very)
很 hěn (very)
太。。。了 tài...le (too/so...)
。。。死了...sǐ le (extremely...)
冷 lěng (cold)
热 rè (hot)
湿 shī (wet)
干 gān (dry)
-今天热死了！Jīntiān rè sǐ le!(It's extremely hot today!)
-昨天有点冷。Zuótiān yǒudiǎnr lěng.(It was a little bit cold yesterday.)
Last, let's see how to ask question about weather:
1. What will the weather be tomorrow?
Míngtiān tiānqì zěnmeyàng?
明天 天气 怎么样？
2. What will be temperature?
Míngtiān de qìwēn duōshao dù?
明天 的 气温 多少 度？
3. Is winter in Shanghai cold?
Shànghǎi dōngtiān lěng bu lěng?
上海 冬天 冷 不 冷？
4. What about summer and autumn?
Xiàtiān hé qiūtiān zěnmeyàng?
春天 和 秋天 怎么样？
Learn the useful phrases with our professional Chinese Lilian.
Do you want to learn more Chinese vocabulary about weather? Attend the daily Chinese course and learn more!
Fifi Yang is a Chinese learning teacher at Hanbridge Mandarin. Having spent a great number of years learning French, Fifi understands the challenges of learning a language. She puts this experience to good use while preparing and delivering classes to her students.